Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Taylor Bridge Fire

Brian Myrick/Daily Record News
Yesterday, at about 1:00 p.m., a wild fire broke out in Cle Elum, about 20 miles west of Ellensburg. I could see the smoke from my apartment, didn't think it would be a huge deal and that fire crews would be able to put it out in no time. When I went to bed last night, the fire had burned 2,800 acres but firefighters had stopped it from moving forward, although containment was at zero. I thought it would be out by morning.
The fire when it first started:

About a half an hour later:
When I woke up, I learned that it had burned 27,000 acres overnight and was moving fast. I still thought, surely, it would be put out soon, but firefighters on the line had to give up fighting it on the ground because it is spreading so fast. Right now they are only fighting it from the air.  Skeletor Gov. Gregoire has declared a state of emergency and FEMA has approved funds to help fight the fire.  It is currently about 10 miles behind where I live, and I'm praying to God that they are able to keep it from coming into town.
I'm in a state of shock. I'm terrified. I never thought something like this was possible where I live. It's absolutely devastating and so many have lost their homes...I cannot imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment