It's funny (in the ironic sense) how life turns out.
I remember posting on my old blog, a little over three years ago, when my dad's dad died. My dad's dad was a worthless philanderer who abandoned my grandmother and their 5 children for another woman, and then raised a family with her.
Sounds familiar, doesn't it?
I said that I wish my grandfather had made different choices because maybe if he had, my grandmother would be alive today. One thing I have always wanted in my life was to be able to know her. When my son - who looks exactly like my dad - was born on her birthday, I knew that it was not by coincidence. As everyone who knows me knows, not long after my son was born, my ex-husband walked out on me and our children for another woman.
In the comments of that blog post, my ex-mother in law said "each of our actions have consequences and in this case it spans generations. But, what a blessing it is to be able to learn from someone else's mistakes."
There is much truth in that.
Without being specific - and I do apologize for being vague - I learned something tonight that broke my heart for someone I used to (and still do) care about in my ex-husband's family. And as I was reading the story, my ex-mother in law's words resounded through my head, how everyone's actions have consequences.
I want to reach out, and I can't.
I want to tell her I'm sorry, and I can't.
I want to tell her that I think of and pray for them, and I can't.
I want to offer my friendship, my love, my ear...anything. I can't.
My ex-husband ruined so many things besides just the unit of our family.
His actions have consequences are far reaching and long lasting.
But, I guess I shouldn't care since I'm the enemy anyway, right?
It's just not that easy. That is not at all who I am.
I say drop a note in the mail or an email. Something to let her know that you are thinking about her without being forceful. (Sometimes I think phone calls are forceful, but I don't like to talk on the phone so...) If it's a situation like yours was, she might feel lonely, she might be looking for someone to talk to. You never know and nobody can say anything bad about you because you did something good. And so that's what I think.
ReplyDelete