Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The difference between fantasy and reality

Dating is horrible. I've never enjoyed it. My recent foray into dating again has reminded me how much I loathe it. I can't believe there are people out there who like to do it.

Nobody is honest. Well, that's not true I'm sure. Everybody is so afraid to be honest that they're not. Time wasted. I don't have a lot of free time so this is irritating.

Everyone is a disappointment. I've already experienced multitudes of disappointment in the relationship area, and I don't want to be disappointed anymore. Which leads me to my title. Do you ever notice how the fantasy of something is better...so much better, usually, than the reality of it? I can think of just about any situation that has come up in my life and this generally applies. Most of the time, anyway.

It just makes me wonder why do I bother putting myself out there. I love meeting people and talking to them but when it comes to any thing more, I'm completely disinterested. It's like a switch that gets turned off immediately when serious interest is shown. Maybe it's just because of where I am in my life. Maybe it's because I was burned. Very badly. I think my biggest fear is rushing into another relationship which will end in another disaster. So, to counter that, I tell myself that that likely would not happen again because I am not the same person. I fear being involved with someone and thinking I know who they truly are only to find out that they are so completely the opposite of what I thought they were... again. Ugh, just the thought makes me feel sick.

I settled once, because I was lonely and scared of never having another opportunity to get married and have children. I won't do that again. I don't want to be married again, honestly. I'm also incredibly picky. It's not just me, but it's my kids too. I wish all people took the same considerations I do instead of just shacking up with whatever desperate trash will have them.

I decided that the literary man of my dreams will have to do for now. He's so much better than any reality out there. And I don't have to share the bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment